GENERAL INFORMATION

Printer-Friendly

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO REACH OUR NEW WEB SITE

http://veterinairesamson.com/

Happy Easter!

            Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine intoxication

            These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee and in the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.

            Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.

            Since our pet’s weight is very small compared to human’s, a small amount of chocolate is easily toxic for them.  See you veterinarian if you have any suspicion of choclate having been ingested.

( ref :ASPCA poison control center)








Lily intoxication-eliminate them from those bouquets to save you pet!

 

Cats particularly love that plant, and some dogs.

All parts of the plant are toxic.  We get many calls per year for this intoxication.

Simply licking the pollen can be deadly to cats.

In cats, some symptoms: vomiting, listlessness, loss of appetite, drewling, sometimes swelling of the face.   In severe cases, renal shut down happens after 24-48 hours we decrease or complete stop of urination.  Evolution to nervous signs: difficulty walking, seizures… Death happens in many severe cases.

In the dogs, moderate gastro-intestinal signs are usually seen.

There is no specific antidote, support treatment and anti-toxic treatment are given. 

Prognostic is good for dogs, but reserved in cats.